Friday, March 8, 2013

Slice of Life #8 - Where was the delayed opening?

March 8th, 2013

My mom woke me up 10 minutes later than usual because she was certain we were going to have a delayed opening, but after calling William's mother, apparently William's bus had already picked him up. I was basically told to brush my teeth and take out my contact lenses as quickly as possible, and to cram food in my mouth. Fun.
As I was eating, I couldn't help being shocked that we didn't have a snow day, or at least a delayed opening. The bamboo plants in my backyard (which grow in a cluster and usually stand perfectly straight) were literally pushed all the way to the ground by the snow. According to my experience, this only happens when:
1) There is a LOT of snow.
or
2) There is really heavy snow.
Either way, it's an occasion for a delayed opening--I highly suspect today was a case of the latter, where the snow was really thick and wet. Anyways, my always reliable bus driver (ahermherm) decided to come even later than usual. Usually, she picks me up at 7:25, which is 15 minutes before school starts, and then she speeds to get to school right at 7:40. Of course, after repeated calls to the school, nothing changed. Oh, well. She must have her reasons. But today? I waited in Brians car until 7:40 (which was when school was SUPPOSED to start), and we made up our minds that she pretty much wasn't going to bother coming. So, we were driven to school by Cynthia's dad (who ALSO didn't realize we had school today xD).
While we were driving to school, I couldn't help but marvel at the white that covered the trees--it was immaculate, a natural lace being formed out of the countless branches weaving through one another. I would never be able to paint something like it: the grayish, bluish tint of the snow, the small snowflakes trickling from the sky, the half brown, half blanketed with white branches of the trees. In basic words, it was breathtakingly beautiful--I had one of those moments where tests, quizzes, and other usually important parts of our lives were trivial matters compared to the vast expanses of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment