Thursday, March 7, 2013

Slice of Life #7 - Careless Mistakes...Why!?

March 7th, 2013
 
As all we Algebra 2 people know, we got our math quizzes back today. I'm very sorry to say that while many people probably got hundreds, I got a fairly stinky grade that ruined my day. Why, you may ask? The usual answer: careless mistakes.
Originally, I thought I was going to fail this quiz because it was on combinations and permutations (I am really bad at them. This might explain why I'm not the best at competition math xD). It turns out, I actually figured all the problems out and made just one mistake, which wasn't even on the stuff I wasn't sure of. Dr. Eng had included some of the Chapter 5 extensions, including the inequality problems. Apparently, I had calculated everything right up until the one fateful line:
x(x-1)
Guess what I distributed that into?
x^2-1
Yes. I know. I'm having one of those moments where I want to go bang my head against the wall and then eat ice cream. It sometimes hurts knowing that while you knew how to do everything, you still don't get a hundred because of some stupid mistake you made that cost you about 5 points.
For
every
single
quiz
or
test
this
year
that
I
didn't
get
a
hundred
on
it
was
because
of
a
careless
mistake.
RAGEEEEEEE

3 comments:

  1. We've all known that feeling when we make one careless mistake on something that seems extremely obvious on retrospect, but bars us from that 100 we all want. Even worse is if your parent's can't understand why people even make any mistakes, but i'm glad i don't have parents like that. now time to go bang my head against a wall . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Careless mistakes. I've been making too many of them recently. This is why I get nervous when a test involves math. There's always room for error. For instance, forgetting to include units in an answer. Or solving correctly but then forgetting to answer the second half of the question. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, only half of Dr. Eng's classes got the quiz back... I'm still waiting on mine. But I mean, if school is about learning, then learning not to make careless mistakes is just as important as learning the material. High Tech is more about learning organization and time management than it is about math, to be honest. What I find really screws me over though is making a ton of careless mistakes on one test that make my grade go down like a grade level.

    ReplyDelete