Sunday, March 17, 2013

Slice of Life #17 - My Audition Would Have Been Today

March 17th, 2013

If I hadn't moved my audition date, I would have went to Princeton in the morning, performed in front of a judge, and trudged out feeling like a failure. Thankfully, I had my audition moved to NEXT Sunday, and even though that's still not far off, it makes me feel better for one more week.

My worst experience with auditions was with my first one. My teacher was usually mean to me, and always picked favorites (I was pretty low on the totem pole). Her ultimate favorite was a boy, and whenever I came to a lesson, she would talk about how I stank at piano and how the boy was so much better than me. Well, audition time rolled around, and GUESS WHO GOT HIGH HONORS?? Me. >:D The boy got honorable mention. Or something like that... karmaaa Well, the teacher was angry at me (I don't even know why, I actually practiced a lot) and kept telling me:
"HOW did YOU get high honors while <boy's name> DIDN'T???" Thanks for the insult.

Ever since then, every year for the past five years I've high honors or honors. I would practice not that much over the course of the year, but then a week before the audition I would basically cram practice until I was literally banging my hands on the piano. What often stunk was that I would do fine, as in play both pieces almost perfectly--and then the day before the audition, BAM something would go wrong. My fingers would sometimes just fumble in the middle of a chromatic scale, or I would keep on forgetting one easy part. Usually, I would get everything straightened out and play a perfect or near perfect two pieces for the audition.

However....this year, I barely have had any time to practice. I've been trying to practice more now (since my audition is less than a week away). I'm not sure I'll make it this year--I probably won't. If I don't, I'd be mad at myself for breaking my streak. >.<'

If you make high honors, you usually perform here:


If you make honors, you perform here:

No comments:

Post a Comment