Saturday, April 27, 2013

Columbia SHP entrance exam

April 27, 2013

I woke up at 7:30 with a very, very sore throat (probably from allergies/chewing gum) and very blurry eyesight (because I hadn't worn contact lenses the night before). Then, a couple of family friends and I carpooled to drive to Columbia, to take the entrance exam for SHP.

To be honest, I thought the first math section was going to be a lot harder, but it was all basic stuff. Algebra, some easy Geometry, etc. For those of you online freaking out about conic sections and matrices: it's not that complicated...

Then, they handed out the science portion. Andddd.....my day went slightly downhill. I had never learned half the things on the test (which was designed for upperclassmen) and I left a couple blank just because I had no idea what they were  talking about and wrong answers resulted in lost points.

I didn't like the math competition part. My forte isn't math competitions, and I guess I could figure out most of the questions, but for the rest I was stuck. I ended up leaving some blank on this section, too. Whoever told me this was like the AMC, it's not. It's kind of harder.

And by the way, NYC is really crowded and noisy--I haven't visited for about two years, and I totally forgot about the chaos on the streets. Not that it's bad. :) We had lunch at a Japanese restaurant across from the building where I took the test.

Columbia is also really pretty--I really like the way the campus was designed.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I got in to the SHP this year. I didn't really think the test was as difficult as you described it to be. I'm going to take Neuroscience. Did you get in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cooldude, yes I got in (I was so happy :D). I'm not sure which course I'm taking yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what college are you in now?Im a junior taking the test this Staurday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to take the test and I am really nervous for the science part i know earth science and bio but not much on chem or physics will i be alright

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I've been freaking out about this exam it's kind of relieving to know someone else isnt good at competition math...

    ReplyDelete