Friday, June 14, 2013

Blue Dragon (Glaucus atlanticus) AS A PET? No.

 
June 14th, 2013


Recently, while browsing the web, I came across numerous images of Glaucus atlanticus both on scientific forums and photo sharing sites. This animal is more commonly known as the Blue Dragon. Blue Dragons are rare, and are a type of sea slug (which is a mollusk). They float on top of water using the water's surface tension, and utilize an air sac on their ventral (otherwise known as the belly) side, so it floats upside down. Their pattered blue coloration provides protection from all sides.

 
Personally, I thought the Blue Dragon was absolutely gorgeous. I mean, look at this little guy. It looks like he has teeny blue wings!

So, the first thing I did was research some more. Sadly, I was disappointed.

Apparently, the Blue Dragon eats Portuguese Man o' Wars, a species of Cnidaria (the phylum that includes jellyfish) that look like jellyfish but are actually a colony of specialized organisms that really can't survive with each other. Anyways, the Man o' War is really, really poisonous. The Blue Dragon can eat the Man o' War because it has stronger poison. Where does it get the poison from? When it eats Man o' War, it separates out all the strongest poisons and stores them in special sacs in their body. So.

My ultimate conclusion: Blue Dragons should not be pets...sadly. Unless if you want to go find Man o' Wars every day to feed your little tiny cute deadly evil Blue Dragon.
I really don't think it's worth being stung by a Blue Dragon just so you can keep one as a pet.
I really don't know how the guy in the picture has the courage to hold the animal with his bare hands.

15 comments:

  1. I suppose that in captivity, they can subsist on a diet that doesn't include man-of-wars. Then they would be safe to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do people hold the glaucus atlanticus even though they are poiseness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil? How cruel are you to call something 'evil'? Just because it is poisonous, that doesn't make it 'evil'. You are a Human being. The most 'evil' species. Don't act so high and mighty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uuuuum, pretty sure it was said lightheartedly as a joke. Don't go all PC for no reason.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for commenting, everyone - I haven't looked at this blog for a while, and I'd just like to bring up the fact that this was written when I was a freshman in high school. I've gotten a little wiser (at least I hope so) over the past few years, and maybe now I wouldn't joke about how these creatures are "evil" :)
      But "unknown"'s comment is essentially correct; my writing here is meant to be lighthearted. "Wolf", I appreciate your feedback. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are young writers online, people who maybe come across as naive to you simply because they might not have enough practice. Telling an aspiring writer not to act "so high and mighty" could potentially deliver a painful blow.

      Delete
    3. That thing eats man-of-wars and is incredibly poisonous although not evil, it might still cause someone's death...

      Delete
  4. I have three as pets in my salt water aquarium they can be fed toxic sponge of which I have a deal with the pet store to get a kilo evry month as a kilo lasts about a month just make sure to keep the sponge well away from children and pets and wear gloves when handling it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id like to know the pricing and knowledge of caring for these dragons. Might you be willing to help me? :)

      Delete
    2. Id like to know the pricing and knowledge of caring for these dragons. Might you be willing to help me? :)

      Delete
    3. What kind of toxic sponge do you use? Please tell us what kind of aquarium you have, what substrate you use, the salinity of the water in your tank, and what kind of filter you use please. I'm really interested :)

      Delete
    4. Me too when I grow up ina few yrs. i wanna have a pet like this one SOOO COOL

      Delete
  5. Can you email me some information please my email is bladefitness17@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The one in the pic is one that had washed up on the beach and is dead.

    ReplyDelete