Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slice of Life #10 - My Sister's JOs

March 10th, 2013

This weekend, my little sister Kelly went to swimming JO's--or in other words, junior olympics. It's quite difficult to make them (usually around 3 or 4 people per age group in each team make it). I've only ever made it twice (all for fly, of course ;D) and skipped one of them to go on vacation. Going to JOs is an occasion which justifies buying a 40 dollar sweater to commemorate your success.

However, Kelly's definitely a lot faster than I was at her age. She's undergone much more rigorous training, partially due to the other competitors in her age group. There's at least 5 other kids her age who take 3 private lessons a week and go to six practices a week. Under the pressure to do well, my sister has gone to most practices (something I consider a feat since I only go twice a week). She does not take 3 private lessons a week. And yet, somehow, she's one of the fastest kids in her swim group--she routinely gets 1st place or 2nd place in her events (I can only ever do that for my heat, I've only got 1st a couple of times in an event). She qualified for JOs for 8 events. Although she didn't do that well at the meet this weekend, I was still amazed that she made so many. After all, it's usually the Red Bank kids who make that many events.

No comments:

Post a Comment